MG's vs Triumph

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MG's vs Triumph
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 1997 14:43:45 -0600
My limited experience here (2  MG's, one Tr*umph, plus lots of looking)
allows me to make the following observations.

In general, brand T  stuck to more traditional English features longer such
as separate chassis / frame or wood dashboards where MG's moved on to unit
construction / metal or plastic dash.  This is good and bad from both
sides.  The unit body is stronger and lighter but the separate frame is
easier to fix.  People like to look at a wood dash.

MG's tend to use better materials than brand T.  The MGA had leather
interior and aluminum moving body parts where the TR-2 shared it's engine
with a tractor.

MG's tended to be assembled with much more care than brand T.  On My MGB
the doors and everything fit very well with very narrow panel Gaps.  Anyone
who has tried to restore an MGA can appreciate the craftsmanship it took to
assemble its  body.  My Spit looked like it was thrown together on Friday
just befor the bars opened.  The body was designed to avoid the tight
tolerances necessitated by the MGA or MGB- look at the way the boot and
bonned designs on Brand T avoid or hide panel matches.

Mechanically, MG's tended to be well developed (better engineered?) uses of
older, proven technology whereas Brand T was known to graft on poor
attempts at modernization- ie TR independant rear suspension.

Although neither would be called reliable by today's standards, MG's are
more reliable than Brand T.  My experience and literature backs this up.

In stock form, Brand T was usually more powerful than the comparable MG.
This was usually because they used a bigger engine, not because of better
technology.

Last but not least, MG's tend to be very precise and responsive to drive.
The Transmissions have short, direct throws and the steering is wonderful.
Brand T tends to be more sloppy, in my opinion.

As you can probably tell, I prefer MG's.  I do like the look of the TR-6
and was looking for one at one time.  Also, I fit in a Spitfire where a
Spridget is a little tight.  I think Tr2 / 3's are about the ugliest cars
ever made and besides, we used to have Ferguson tractors on our farm and
aren't they about the same thing?  I think they just add fenders and change
the gear ratio and viola! instant TR2 :>)

Flame me if you must be you know these statements to be true- well maybe
not the tractor part per se.

Regards
Bill Eastman
61 MGA