Re:Magnette ZB/Jag Mk.II - MG Wins

To: Kevin Sullivan <kevins@borris.khoros.unm.edu>
Subject: Re:Magnette ZB/Jag Mk.II - MG Wins
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 1997 21:51:40 -0400 (AST)
Hello Kevin..

Your initiative:
>OK, let's have a little interesting discussion.(snip) I like the style of
the >Magnette ZB and the Jag Mk.II but have not driven either.  They seem to
be few >and far between.

I have always lusted after the ZA and ZB Magnettes. (the later Farina style
doesn't quite do it for me, but I digress). About 5 years ago, I heard of an
'old British sedan' lurking in a backyard. It was a '58 Varitone ZB. At
least it was once. Floors completely gone, one fender missing, no grill, no
engine - what a roach....of course, I bought it. Didn't the neighbours love
that old puppy sitting in the drive.

It eventually led to a much more complete '58 ZB, still in need of
restoration, but this one actually ran (very well I might add) after a
many-year storage. Mice had had their way with the interior, again it need
floor repair (at least it had floors to repair!), some sill and lower fender
work. From the first roach, I was able to salvage the complete tan leather
interior, all the wooden interior components - which the PO had removed and
stored in his basement. The car also yielded one very good fender and a
miriad of small, difficult to find parts.

Alas, in a rash of sensibility, I have sold both cars (sigh).

>I know of Magnettes in decent shape for sale in Georgia and
>California.

Go check 'em out - they're VERY hard to find

>I also know of one here in New Mexico that's in pretty bad
>shape.

Grab it for parts, no matter how bad. There are m,any Magnette-specific bits
and pieces it'll provide you.

>My wife likes the Jag a little better but is concerned about
>hidden costs.

Kevin, you've notonly married a woman of significant taste,  but sensibility
too! Although the Magnette would not be a cheap restoration - the mechancis
are basically MGA - I ordered everything I needed to resurect the car from
various MGA suppliers.

The body panels are rare and pricey, but there is a couple I made contact
with in England who provide much for the Magnette. He does the body repair
sections, she looks after 'soft' parts - ineriors and the like.

The Jag's a wonderful automobile, but expensive...very, very expensive, and
while it's a more powerful, larger car than the Magnette - I alwys felt the
Magnette mirroed the Jag without the pretention - and exhorbidant (sp?) costs.

Actually, my daily car is a Nissan Altima. It reminds me very much of the
size and shape of the Magnette.

Through the North American MGA Register, I discovered the Magnette Owner's
group. Jeff Powell I beleive was the chairperson. Jeff has/had a spectacular
ZB, light blue w/tan leather. It was perfect, and was on the cover of
British Car magazine some time back.

Go for the Magnette, ZA (first series) ZB (second series - only real
difference from ZA - larger rear window, different chrome spear on the
fenders, and slightly more power) or the ultimate is the ZB Varitone. It has
a larger wrap around rear window that reminds be of the MGA coupe, and it's
usually two-toned (hence Varitone) with the colour split by a thin chrome
trim piece that runs from the grille, back along the hood, doors and rear
fenders, following the graceful lines of the car.

They are out there, and with some patience, you'll find the one you're
looking for. Watch for rust in the front floor outer coners, and at the
firewall. This is a double-walled panel, and if corroded - is a very
expensive and difficult repair. Ditto for the rear fender well lip over the
rear wheels - double-skinned. Sills are similar to A & B - this was one of
the first mono-construction BMC projects (no frame), and rust proofing was
not a consideration. Rust is the biggest concern, as I mentioned, most of
the mechanicals are MGA.

Whew, this is getting to long,. contact me directly if I can be of any
further assistance.

Anyone else?

Oh, BTW - I did actually drive the old car up and down the driveway. It has
a high, but comfortable seating position, and it is only a 4 cylinder, 1500
cc engine, but it IS an MG!

Good luck!

Terry Williams
'70 BGT
'68 roadter
-ghosts of 2 58 ZB Magnettes (I still have a Magnette grille on my garage wall!)