Value of MGB-GT-V8 in the U.S.

To: apfau@ismi.net
Subject: Value of MGB-GT-V8 in the U.S.
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 15:42:06 -0800
> From: Alan Pfau <apfau@ismi.net>
> Subject: Value Of MGB-GT-V8 In The U.S.
>
> Hi All!

> B-GT-V8 would be worth in the U.S. I happened to recall that an original V8
> was included in the auction of the Gene Ponder MG collection in Texas (I
> think).
> How much did it end up going for? If some of you remember, it was the
> liquidation of a rather extensive MG collection, including many pre-war
> types.
>
> Did anybody happen to go to it?
>
> Regards
> Alan Pfau

Yes, Alan, I attended.  I even went with the idea of buying a car.  Boy,
was I surprised.  The prices that were paid for some of the cars would
boggle the mind, particularly since a lot of the restoration work on
those cars was not the best.  Don't get me wrong, there were a lot of
nice cars, but the prices paid were for pristine examples, and these
were anything but.

For example, the MGBGTV8 went for $19,000, not including buyer's and/or
seller's premium.  The car had a LOT of hidden rust, non-factory
louvers, non-original paint and interior, etc.  The current owner, Paul
Kile, is a member of this list and wrote an article about the car in
British Car magazine a couple of issues ago.  He says that he bought
from the auction purchaser, but paid less than the auction price.
--
David Littlefield
Houston, TX

--"Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it"--