Re: Value of MGB-GT-V8 in the U.S.

To: "David F. Darby" <dfdarby@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Value of MGB-GT-V8 in the U.S.
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 13:28:16 -0800
David F. Darby wrote:

> Hello:

> This is interesting to me as I have an ex-Gene Ponder MGA mkII. He owned

> it in 1979. I obtained it from a feller down on the Buffalo River in

> Arkansas. He had purchased it from an Iowan who had imported it from

> Texas. It's restored condition matched your description, David. It's a

> roadster, chassis No. GHNL2 / 100694. Does anyone know it? I'm curious

> to know more about Mr. Ponder also.

> Regards,

> David F. Darby

> Missouri Ozarks

I don't know that particular car.  I did see a MK II at the auction that

had been recently "restored."  It had a pushbutton starter with an

electric solenoid, some questionable hidden bodywork, vinyl upholstery,

and no heater.  It was purchased by a fellow from Germany for $36,0000

(yes, that was *3*6,*0*0*0*).  I have never actually met Mr. Ponder

personally, although others that are active in the Texas MG Register

have known him for years.  He sold off his substantial MG collection in

1989 due to some financial requirements (or because he recognized the

top of the market, some say).  He has since begun to build it back up

again.

I did meet one of his sons, however.  I was lifting the hood on a MGTF

that was to be auctioned off and he came rushing over to tell me not to

touch it.  He said in no uncertain terms that I could look at it as much

as I wanted *after* I bought it!!  I did have it open long enough to see

a rather amateurish reproduction of the VIN plate-- all the letters and

numbers were stamped crookedly, like they were done freehand.

I don't mean to cast any dispersions on Mr. Ponder's character, as I

said I have never met the man.  I have never heard anything to indicate
that he has ever misled anyone as to the condition or quality of
restoration of any of his cars.  Many of his restorations are of the
"checkbook" sort, done by a good friend of his in East Texas that is
known more for his U.S. model car restorations.  All I'm saying is that
I would look *very* carefully at a car that went through his hands to
make sure that I knew what I was buying, and not take for granted that
"restored" meant what I thought it should mean in the context of the
price that was being negotiated.  Come to think of it, that is what I
would do when buying any car.

--

David Littlefield

Houston, TX

--"Experience is recognizing a mistake the second time you make it"--