Banter

To: <baker@islandnet.com>
Subject: Banter
From: "David Littlefield" <dmeadow@flash.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 18:26:43 -0500
Mmmm.  Yeah, I agree with you, but to a point.  Did you ever read The
Virginian?  One of the first real western novels.  Everyone in the novel
calls everyone else a son of a b____ [sic, this is back when one didn't
print a book with bad words in it], as in "you ol' son of a b____," (smile,
backslap).  The term is only used between fellows that know each other.
There is a famous scene where the bad guy calls the Virginian a son of a
b_____ in a card game and not in a nice way.  The Virginian says "you
better smile when you say that, Mister."  As I remember, a gunfight ensues.

Unfortunately, email does not allow for smiles and backslaps and most of us
are strangers.  Therefore, such chatter doesn't work very well in this
medium unless done carefully, with emoticons and an understanding as to how
it will look in print to the other guy.  I know this because I have typed
things with a smile on my face and a sarcastic voice in my head, only to
find that the recipient took it all too seriously because he couldn't see
my smile nor hear my voice.

I think the key phrase in your email is "between friends".  It is
presumptuous to use such "chatter" with strangers, particularly when smiles
are not possible.  The result is obvious.  Moral:  Don't say it unless you
mean it the way it reads.

LBC content:  My MGA is a son of a b_____ [see what I mean?  Figure that
one out!!:-)]

David Littlefield