Re: TD available

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD available
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 21:18:54 -0500
Barney Gaylord wrote:

> Michael,
>
> If you're the guy looking for a TD, a friend of mine in Wheaton, Illinois
> just told me his 1950 TD is for sale.  He only got it early this summer,
> thinks it's easy to work on but not enough fun to drive.  He's
> contemplating selling it to someone in Holland I think, maybe sometime in
> the next few weeks.  I wouldn't put it past him, he shipped out a few
> other cars earlier this year.
>
> I've seen the car, good condition, recently repainted, was originally tan
> I'm told (not for sure), now dark blue, decent paint job including all
> the inside and under surfaces.  Steel disk wheels (also blue), new Dunlop
> SP20 tires.  All new hydraulic cylinders including brake master, new
> brakes, new water pump.  Needs side curtains, top is functional but
> faded, new leather seats, new carpeting.  I helped him fix a few things,
> wiring is in generally good condition, turn signal kit installed by PO,
> one driving light (just one but looks good).
>
> Engine exhaust smoked, especially on startup.  Did a compression test,
> 175 psi on all cylinders, it's for real, had my tester calibrated
> recently.  Looks like a shaved head with shim spacers under the rocker
> shaft pedestals.  Did a blow down test on all cylinders.  Not a bit of a
> hiss through any of the intake or exhaust valves, and such a little
> leakage past the rings that you can barely hear it through  the oil
> filler cap in a quiet garage.  I've never known an MG engine to be this
> leak tight.  Figured it must have loose valve guides.
>
> Pulled the cylinder head and removed all valve springs.  Some DPO or
> mechanic had installed 5 of the 8 inner valve springs upside down, with
> the oil deflector sleeves at the bottom.  The sleeves then made an
> effective reservoir cup that held oil over the top of the valve guides.
> Thought we had solved the problem.  The valve guides were all pretty
> snug, definitely not a loose guides problem, so put it back together with
> the deflectors on top as required, and with new original style seals (the
> little o-rings).
>
> It still smokes a little, but no longer a mosquito fogger.  Next move is
> to install Felpro umbrella seals to the valves, which will be done as
> soon as he can get the bits.
>
> The car could use new top and side curtains, but other than that it's a
> pretty nice machine.  Suspension, shocks, wheel bearings, steering gear
> all in good condition.  I think the wood is in good condition, but the
> door hinges may be a little loose.
>
> I have no idea what he paid for the car or what he now wants for it,
> never asked either question.  Not my area of expertise, I'm really not a
> TD guy.  He's not on e-mail, but you can call him at (630) 653-1534, name
> is Allan Grecco.
>
> Cheers,
> Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA
> Naperville, Illinois

Thanks Barney,

I think I may have found a couple to look at, but not anytime soon.  How
come all the nice ones seem to be in the tundra this time of year.  I
don't think I want to be in Naperville right now either.  Currently it's
15 degrees here in Virginia, with snow predicted for tomorrow!  Maybe I
should wait until Spring!

Cheers,

Michael Ohleger

'67 MGB