Re: Painting Wire Wheels

To: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com (Thomas J Pokrefke)
Subject: Re: Painting Wire Wheels
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (JOHN MCEWEN)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:46:22 -0500
>The time has come to paint the wire wheels on my 1970 MGB (again).
>Currently, I am forced with painting the wheels every 6 months.  The
>problem lies in the road grime/brake dust taking the shine off the paint.
>
>I am considering painting the wire wheels black.  From a functional
>standpoint, the dark color should hide the dirt and dust.  I am unsure
>how black wheels on a red car would look.  I say a red AH 3000 with black
>wheels, and it looked pretty nice.  I would appreciate any comments from
>the list on how aesthetically pleasing the black wires would look.
>
>FWIW - I have tried every type of chrome paint out there - the stuff Moss
>sells, Krylon, and my personal favorite:  "The Nearest Thing to Chrome
>(from a can)".  Nothing lasts.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions/advice.

Hi Tom:

Get the wheels powder coated.  It will cost you about $50 per wheel and
will put an end to your problems.  They can be coated in any color you
like.  Mine are gold on a red car.  It ain't original but it's durable,
easily washed and looks great.  They can be done without disassembly but
make sure that the spokes are adjusted properly before you powder coat
because they will be difficult to turn afterwards without disturbing the
coating.  Incidentally, the coating helps keeps the spokes tight.

John McEwen