Re: Painting Wire Wheels

To: MICHAEL J ROBSON <miker15@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Painting Wire Wheels
From: "Richard Fontaine (ENG)" <fontaine@scooby.lklnd.usf.edu>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 22:40:58 -0500 (EST)
tom(if i may be informal);
 thought i'd throw a few pence in, for what its worth.color of the wheels
may not be the important issue.safety really is a subject worth
mentioning.wires tend to become brittle after a while due to
vibration,stress,side loads..nothing will ruin your day like a wire coming
apart while on the road..it will really water your eyes, believe me..with
that said, a suggestion:stress cracks can lurk in the rims and hubs.you
might want to get them bead blasted and magnafluxed.they should be taken
apart 1st.then you might deliberate about getting them relaced with
stainless steel spokes.it will cost more on the front end, but the wheels
will be safe,and look really good.(safe being the operative word)
my tc was done 12 years ago and still look like new. plus the safety
factor..which is all important.
whick ever way you go think about the safety aspect.
dick fontaine
48mgtc
62tr3b
"if its steel, its real"
ps:dan hughes,you took a lot of heat..i didnt know you really existed
until i got ur msg (byte me) good shot,welcome back to "active duty"
something will "byte" somebody else,and it will you laff..