Re: Starter motor and backfiring

To: Jpl@dbsa.org
Subject: Re: Starter motor and backfiring
From: barneymg@juno.com (Barney Gaylord)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 12:28:20 EST
On Mon, 20 Jan 1997 09:23:25 +0200 JP Labuschagne <Jpl@dbsa.org> writes:

>Two questions regarding a 57 MGA, The other day I heard a new noise, so
when I pulled over I opened the bonnet with the engine running, I tracked
it down to the starter motor still engaged while the engine was running.
This is a new occurrence I turned the engine off and the starter motor
continued to run. I quickly saw that the pull starter was sticking and
not releasing. I'll fix that but are there any guesses as to possible
damage to the starter I admit I drove for a number of kilometers with
this noise, I thought it was the truck in front wasn't grinding while the
engine was running I think it was now just running at the engine speed if
that is possible.

The starter motor was not engaged to the flywheel after starting, was
free wheeling with no load.  Under these conditions it draws not much
current, generates not much heat, should run almost indefinitely with no
damage.  If you didn't run the battery down you didn't wear out the
starter motor.  Might be a good time to inspect the brushes while you're
thinking about it.

>Second question when slowing down, by using the brakes and shifting
down, the engine sometimes crackles, it doesn't backfire per se, but
crackles if you know what I mean. It doesn't always do this but what
could be the cause of this noise, or is it a problem?

Empty muffler.  Voice of experience speaking.

Cheers,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA