Re: B weight?

To: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Subject: Re: B weight?
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 22:36:39 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Bill Schooler wrote:

> Okay, after grievous error converting cwt incorrectly, I looked at the
>owner's manual
> for my car, a 1969 MGB.  Weight (unladen) for the roadster is 2109 lbs, and
>the GT
> weighs in at 2369.  Kerbside weights are 2149 and 2409 lbs, respectively.  So
>now, oh
> wise denizens of the hallowed list, can we presume "kerbside" means with a
>tank of
> gas, coolant in the radiator, and oil in the engine?
>
> Bill

My keen eye detects a difference of 40 pounds between unladen weight and
kerbside weight.  Obviously, the kerbside weight does not include a
driver, even an anorexic one.  If we assume a pint of gas weighs a little
less than a pint of water, and a pint of water weighs a pound (a pint's a
pound, the world around)(but a pint isn't a pint the world around, but
wotthehell) then a 10 gallon tank would weigh a bit less than 80 pounds,
but not as little as 40 pounds, so they are not figuring a full tank of
gas.  My WAG is that they include oil and coolant in both figures, but
maybe only gas in the kerbside weight.  Anyway, who cares.

Speaking of british measures, I once heard that Sterling Moss lost 14
pounds during a long, hot race.  Clear proof that a rolling Moss gathers
no stone.

WRG

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910