Re: discoloration of rubber bumpers

To: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Re: discoloration of rubber bumpers
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:56:51 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Paul Hunt wrote in response to Bob Dallas's query:

> > There was a thread sometime past about restoring the bumpers that had been
> > discolored by the sun's rays. Would someone please send me the instructions
>

> Spray on Armorall and spread it out with a non-absorbant object so it's lying
> on the surface - I used a Mark I digit - and leave it to dry in the sun.
> Do it again.  Do it again.  Then polish up with a clean duster.

  Armor-All will restore the lustre/gloss on a short term basis, but...
  if you ever intend to paint the bumpers , do *not* spray them with
  a silicone based 'protectant' (i.e. Armor-All).  Paint will not
  adhere to any surface treated with silicone.

  If this were my car, I would wet sand them lightly with 220 grit
  production paper, rub them down with thinner and paint them with
  semi-gloss black paint.  You will need to use a flex-additive to
  allow the paint to 'give' somewhat.

  Good luck.

   --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.        'Its better to be silent and
   7201 Hamilton Blvd Trexlertown, PA     thought a fool than speak and
   (610) 481-2646                         remove all doubt' --A. Lincoln