Deal's Gap

To: "'mgsubmit'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Deal's Gap
From: Deffendall Kelly 403 <KDEFFEND@corphq.cbrlcorp.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 97 13:41:00 PST
Sorry to bomb the whole list with this, but DG Collins asked for directions
to Deal's Gap and my reply bounced.

U.S. 129 forms the southwest end of the Great Smokies Natl Park. The
route we usually take is from Knoxville.  Take TN Hwy 129 out of Knoxville
to Maryville, TN.  Get on the Foothills Parkway and continue south west
until it comes to a T at US 129.  The curves start two or three miles
before the
TN/NC state line.  You'll know when you're in the pass.  Your eyes get wide
and you grip the steering wheel tighter.

The Foothills Parkway is like I-40 between Asheville and Knoxville, scenic
overlooks, nice banked curves and new smooth pavement.

Deal's gap is like an 11 mile autocross with rock walls on one side and
ravines on the other. My best pass was on a sportbike and I averaged
28 mph.  In the MG, I only got up to third gear once.

Kelly

 If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving
 an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life
 without even considering if there are men on base.
                               -- Dave Barry