Re: MGF in US

To: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com
Subject: Re: MGF in US
From: dmeadow@juno.com (David C Littlefield)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 20:58:41 EST
This being a matter of opinion and taste, I am sure you will get a number
of disagreements and will not change your mind because of them.  I, for
one, like the styling of the MGF.  I will say that I didn't like it at
first because it seemed such a radical departure from the last MG, the B.
 It just looked to damn modern and George Jetson to be an MG.  If you
think about it, though, the B was designed in the late fifties and
produced largely unchanged from the early sixties on.  Therefore, you
have *35* years between models, or thereabouts.  It is almost analogous
to the guy who bought the Bugatti name and came out with a space
ship/Mclaren/XJ220 type supercar, compared to everyone's image being the
twenties-era road racer.  It is just hard to associate the name with the
product.

However, I went to England this past year and attended MG International
at Silverstone, where there was the largest gathering of MGF's in private
hands to date (about 60).  I got a close look at the cars and really
liked them!  Rover had a special display with a couple of racing specials
as well as road-going cars.  I had been driving those lovely, twisty
English roads for the past couple of days.  I had rented a VW Polo, which
was actually a hoot to drive in those conditions, and when I was standing
over the MGF's I was literally *aching* to grab one and take it out on
those roads.

I won't presume to say that you would like them more if you saw them in
person, but I certainly did.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX