TC rear hub oil leak

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TC rear hub oil leak
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 21:36:50 +1100 (EST)
I have a persistent rear hub oil leak which I tackled again tonight.

I reckon diff oil is leaking past the oil seal, working its way through the
axle splines where it force fits into the rear hub. Tell tale signs being
oil slung to the outer wheel rim after running down the wheel spokes. Not a
lot but persistent despite replacing the rear oil seal and rear hub gasket
more than once in an attempt to fix it.

I've seen some axles brazed to the hub - maybe to take up slack and maybe
to help solve this problem.

What I have in mind and seek comment from fellow listers seems almost too
simple a fix:

At great risk to my person I took from our kitchen sink the sink plug - 50
mm (2") diameter - exactly the right size to force fit into the inside of
the wheel hub. Once in place it can't go anywhere being held in by the
wheel spinner. I don't reckon any oil will get past that baby. What do you
reckon?

Apart from getting into real trouble for pinching the plug can you see any
problems?

Paul