Re: TC rear hub oil leak

To: "Syl's Sydney Homestay" <homestay@infolearn.com.au>
Subject: Re: TC rear hub oil leak
From: Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 09:02:22 -0500
Syl's Sydney Homestay wrote:

> I have a persistent rear hub oil leak which I tackled again tonight.
>
> I reckon diff oil is leaking past the oil seal, working its way through the
> axle splines where it force fits into the rear hub. Tell tale signs being
> oil slung to the outer wheel rim after running down the wheel spokes. Not a
> lot but persistent despite replacing the rear oil seal and rear hub gasket
> more than once in an attempt to fix it.
>
> I've seen some axles brazed to the hub - maybe to take up slack and maybe
> to help solve this problem.
>
> What I have in mind and seek comment from fellow listers seems almost too
> simple a fix:
>
> At great risk to my person I took from our kitchen sink the sink plug - 50
> mm (2") diameter - exactly the right size to force fit into the inside of
> the wheel hub. Once in place it can't go anywhere being held in by the
> wheel spinner. I don't reckon any oil will get past that baby. What do you
> reckon?
>
> Apart from getting into real trouble for pinching the plug can you see any
> problems?
>
> Paul

Paul:

The problem you describe is endemic to all TCs.  Plugging it with a sink
plug may work temporarily, but does not cure the problem.  If oil is
seeping past the fit of the hub on the half shaft splines, it is because
one or the other is worn.  The wear will only get worse with use, to the
point that the rear wheel may actually wobble even though it is
tightened onto the hub.  This is potentially hazardous.  There is a man,
one Phil Marino, in California who produces a very satisfactory
conversion for the hubs.  I have no direct experience of this, but
everyone to whom I have spoken tells me it is first class.  It may be
worth your while checking him out.

Sincerely,

Geoff Love, The English Connection.