Tarp's disease

To: William Zehring <zehrinwa@UMDNJ.EDU>
Subject: Tarp's disease
From: ninab@scoresheet.com (Nina Barton)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 11:00:34 -0800

>This malady is probably secondary to a condition that many of us find
>ourselves in: an almost filial relationship our cars have with us.
>
>What is the etiology of this disease?  My guess is that in fact it is a
>form of regressive behavior; regressive to our grade-school age when many
>boys felt a similar compulsion to see what was covered up.  Most of us
>satisfied this curiosity (more or less) by high school.  Saddly, it
>returns.  I confess that I'm not sure of the etiology in women.  Did they
>suffer from a similar compulsion in grade school but carefully kept it to
>themselves?  Any comments, ladies?

You all realize that these medical opinions sometimes need a second
doctor's corroboration, well perhaps my experiences are different from
other MG owners.
In the female of the species, the inclination to purchase and drive a
"sports car" stemmed more from the act of mere rebellion against the
pressures of female authority, than any inclination to get "into"
something.  The pressures of conforming to teen curfews, dress codes, and
proper behavior, led some of us into areas of questionable taste, as far as
"safe" automobiles went.  "Nice girls don't drive sports cars" is a quote
I'll long remember.  However, once we were hooked on wind in the face, top
down driving, we found excuses to ignore our mother's teachings.  As a
bonus, it was nice to be able to tell the mechanic what was wrong with your
car and get it right!  Its only with age, and the blatant refusal to give
in to more sedate forms of automotive transport, that we find ourselves
looking under tarps, or combing the classifieds for waifs to rescue!!!
(big smile here)        Nina