MG or not MG... (was: MGF in the US)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net (mgs)
Subject: MG or not MG... (was: MGF in the US)
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 10:39:27 -0600 (CST)
Alan Tong writes:

> There have been a few comments about the MGF in recent days along the
> lines of the MGF not being a 'proper' MG.

Indeed.

Perhaps it's time to ask the question:  What is the essence of "MG"?  I
shall make a few observations; others, feel free to comment.

1.  An MG is sporty.  This is the cornerstone upon which the entire MG
ethos rests.  MGs are quick, nimble, and very capable, generally falling
into the traditional "sports car" definition, with a small-displacement
four-cylinder engine in a low-slung chassis with open bodywork (yes, I
know there are significant exceptions; I'd like to have a GT V8 myself).
MGs win races, rallies, and hillclimbs; MGs hug the twisty mountain
roads we choose to drive, and gracefully navigate the congested
freeways we must reluctantly use from time to time.

2.  An MG is safe.  "Safety Fast", the motto of the marque, means
predictability in handling, and of what use is a sports car with
unpredictable handling?  When the throttle is lifted mid-turn, the rear
end doesn't swing around like some higher-priced machinery might.  When
the minivan in front of you starts easing into your lane, an MG responds
to the reflexes of your right foot and left hand and perfectly executes
the commands they send, with minimum drama.  "Safety Fast" also means
that the MG is robust and sturdy, eschewing the no-compromise dieting
of a Lotus for a tactile cohesiveness that few other marques match.

3.  An MG is an intelligent blend of readily available systems.  This,
to me, is the real genius of the MG sports car.  It's simple for an
engineer to draw up plans for an optimally-handling sportster, but
there's a certain painstaking art in the process of assembling parts
intended for other cars and making them work together towards the goal
of "Safety Fast".  This approach, which descends from Old Number One all
the way through the lineage to the MGF, also significantly lessens
manufacturing costs, which is a Big WinŽ for the consumer.

4.  An MG is British.  Long years ago this used to imply a quiet
competence in craftmanship, but then came B(PS)L...

(You'll notice that the MG saloons are not mentioned above.  While I
greatly admire them, I feel that the saloons are in a distinctly
different, though related, category than the sports cars.  An MG sports
car is designed from the ground up with its "MG-ness" in mind; An MG
saloon is essentially a family car from a sibling marque [Morris,
Austin, Wolseley, or, more recently, Rover] with a healthy injection
of "MG-ness" added afterwards.  Modern-day analogous cars include the
BMW M3 and the SVO-tweaked Taurus SHO, cars for the sports-car driver
to tote his family in.)

Now, in the light of the above qualities, it is easy to see that the MGF
is indeed a true MG.  It is quick, it handles extremely well, it is
small and sporty, it handles extremely well, it is a creative blend of
existing Rover pieces, and it handles extremely well.  And, obviously,
it is British.

Comments?

--

Todd Mullins