Re: Vibration problem?

To: Carol <car@texas.net>
Subject: Re: Vibration problem?
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:50:04 +0000
Carol wrote:

> At 10:50 AM 1/29/97 -0600, Robert Allen wrote:
> >David Wilkinson wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >> My 80' B has been running great - until last week. I seem to feel a
>
> >Might try spinning up the car on jacksands and looking for wobbly rear
> >wheels or rear axle vibration. This can be dangerous, however.
>
> Hi, Bob!
>
> When I went to have the wheels balanced while on the car, the shop put a big
> floor jack under the pumpkin and we spun the wheels. I was concerned about
> putting the jack there, and didn't feel it was appropriate to ask them about
> potential damage to the gears.
>
> Is that not a proper way to test the rear wheels out for shimmy??

If you found a shop that can still balance wheels while they are on the
car, send them  a Valentine. I thought the computer dweebs ran all them
old farts out of business long ago.

No, getting jacked up by the pumpkin is just fine on solid axle cars.
Won't hurt nuttin. IRS cars; all bets are off.

Hunting for vibration is best done with the car supportted by jack
stands on the body and letting the rear axle hang on it's springs. Then
when you spin the car up to an indicated 40 or more, you may be able to
detect what is wobbling. A single wheel versus the whole axle. The whole
axle could be the u-joints or bad trans mounts, etc. Just one side of
the axle would be a wheel.

Having the axle hanging on its spring exagerates the driveshaft/pinion
angle which could make vibration more noticeable. Also, the unloaded
springs will help amplify the vibration.

Finally, if you was paying me to balance your wheels on the car, I would
hold it by the pumpkin, too, to keep from having to balance the whole
axle.

The dangerous part is having your car eight inches off the ground
building all that kinetic energy while you're snooping around underneath
with eyes, ears, and touch trying to figure out what is wiggling. If it
wiggles off the stands, you *will* meet some of your neighbors.

So, IMHO, those are the indisputable facts -- FWIW.

Bob "Once God of the ShieldMeyer" Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6

PS: Jeez, Carol, you sent me this note five times! Better let the
batteries run down on that thing before trying again...

--
*** STANDARD DISCLAIMER
*** Please assume all lines end with smiley face emoticon :-)