oil seal solution?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: oil seal solution?
From: homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's Sydney Homestay)
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 17:35:16 +1100 (EST)
Thanks to all who gave some very constructive advice to cure my TC rear end
oil leak. I have replied to most individually but thought that there may be
others on the list interested in the most likely solution put forward by
some and confirmed in talking with Phil Marino to-day.

I'm pleased to have made contact with Phil who had with him at the time his
mate, Carl, to whom I also spoke. Carl has had his TD since 1955 and spends
a good bit of time with Phil pondering ways to improve the doings of the TC
without affecting its outwards appearance.

Seems as though the best fix is a combination of replacing the splined half
shaft with an alternative machined on a taper with a keyway and adding a
rear axle bearing nut with seal with forces up against the rear bearing
which additionally should be of the sealed type.

The improved bearing seal will not work without the half shaft modification
because the axle splines are approximately 0.5" longer than that which is
pressed into the hub. Any seal is then breached by these additional
splines.
As a stop gap one could try to fill these splines where they extend past
the hub but Phil reckoned that this was not the best fix.

He has very kindly offered to mail me drawings of the combination so that I
can have the machining done here.

While I'm waiting for the drawings and having themachining done I think
I'll use the kitchen plug.

So there you have it. Thanks again to all those who provided help and advice.

Kind regards

Paul