You wrote:

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, gardner@lwcomm.com
Subject: You wrote:
From: Richard Lancaster <RLANCASTER@ntia.doc.gov>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 11:29:06 -0500
You wrote:
From: "Scott Gardner"
Subject: Emissions Test Avoidability.

I know there are some current (and certainly some prior) military
<snip>
   BTW, has anybody else heard of the "three-state" rule?  Evidently,

if your registration, insurance, and driver's license are from three
different states, you can legally only drive in those three states.
May seem far-fetched, but ask an active-duty military member,
especially one who is early in his career and getting bounced from
one school to another how far-fetched it is.
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com

Scott,
When in the AF, my MD license and OK plates worked fine in Oklahoma,
but upon PCS to NY (Griffiss), it all went to hell!  They said if all
three of those things (not insurance but drivers license,
registration and actual state stationed within) were different, you
were required to change, in that case, register the car in NY.  But,
I still could keep the MD drivers license.  Weird, and back in the
70's somewhere.  The only good thing was that at Griffiss, they gave
me a house with a garage, so I could restore the MGA HARDTOP that I
towed from Oklahoma.  Good luck in the military...Randy Lancaster