Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos

To: "Scott Gardner" <gardner@lwcomm.com>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "Zero" Emissions Autos
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 07:27:54 -0500 (EST)
At 12:05 AM 2/2/97 +0000, Scott Gardner wrote:
>  I'd like to add my two cents' worth on the new electric cars.  While
>I realize they have their faults (limited performance and range being
>the two biggest), they would be ideal for a second or third car, to
>be used as a commuter vehicle.  Even though they are not truly "zero
>emissions", it is much more efficient to produce the energy upstream
>at the power plant, than in thousands of individual internal
>combustion engines.  Also, where many people are driving around with
>poorly-maintained, gross polluters, this would not be a problem with
>electric cars, because all of the emissions would take place at the power
plant,
>which would have stricter, more enforceable maintenance rules than any one
individual
>car.
>     Someone has made the claim that electric cars will produce MORE
>pollution, at least in the lead department, than a car burning leaded
>fuel.  I'd be curious how, since lead-acid batteries don't gas off
>lead, and lead recycling from lead-acid batteries is one of the
>oldest and most successful recycling programs in existence.  Many of
>these cars don't even use lead-acid batteries at all.
>     Lastly, don't forget that there is one case where an electric
>car IS zero-emissions--  Stopped in traffic.  No internal combustion
>car can say this.  I don't advocate the removal of gas-burning cars,
>but it's time to realize that an alternative is needed, and for the
>commuter, electric cars are the best we have so far.
>Scott Gardner
>gardner@lwcomm.com
>
>Scott
I pretty much agree.  I still have some reservations, such as how long will
the batteries hold a charge, the what ifs of being stuck in traffice etc,
but all in all it is probably a good idea especially for short hops around
town doing errands, going to work (if you live close to work) etc.  I do
bellieve our internal combustion engines tend to polute more at low speed
and on short trips so......

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca