Finessing the dilemna of Positive Ground

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Finessing the dilemna of Positive Ground
From: Mark Sherman <MARKSHERMAN@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Feb 1997 00:01:42 -0800
Geoff Love <engconn@infi.net> wrote:

I have a bag phone which I use in the MG, (for business purposes only, you
understand,
(I have total faith in my rebuilding abilities!)), but I don't plug it in 'cos
there
isn't a lighter socket, and also because, as you rightly say, it's positive
earth.

My bag phone works great in my positive ground TD!  Since the bag phone (like
many other
modern mobile appliances) is totally insulated it can't tell neg from pos
ground. If you
spend about $4 at Radio Shack you can fool the prince of darkness by connecting
cigarette lighter extension (make sure that it too is plastic and
ground-ignorant to a
hot lead (center lead to +, side lead to neg).
My question is--can you do the same with a (plastic encased) CB?  Does the
antenna need
a (negative) ground to prevent its own suicide?

Mark Sherman
'53 TD (supercharged)