More On Minilites

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More On Minilites
From: David Tietz <mgcats@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 19:05:21 -0500
"Tell me more about this conversion, David....If you will. (I NEVER
thought I
would prefer disk bolt-on wheels to wires until I had to deal with
them in
an łup close and personal˛ manner!!)-Carol"

Hey Carol,

Not too much more to tell, I went to Minilites because I believe
modern tubeless tires to be more reliable than the tube type (because
of the softer inner rubber liner). I have found from personal
experience, nails in tires weeks (or months) after the occurrence. In
fact, one should look at their tires periodically to make sure they
are clear of such punctures.

I had the less-than-3000-miles-on-them Pirelli 195HR65 15 inch tires
(DPO had them installed 3 weeks before I bought the car) on my B
Roadster, with tubes, on MGC wheels. The splines in one of the wheels
started to wear, and at the same time, I wanted the more reliable
tubeless tires on my "Daily Driver", so I bought the Minilites, and
put the Roadster's tires on the Minilites and installed them on the
GT. The GT's wheels & tires were good (but tatty), so on the Roadster
they went.

Everyone told me that the rear end had to be changed because the
overall length of the wire wheel rear end is 1 inch shorter than
bolt-on rear end... But, when I measured the MOSS Minilites, I found
they have a 1/2 inch less off-set than Rostyle wheels... Problem
solved, the vertical tire center line is right where it should be. I
didn't find any problem bolting on the bolt-on hubs to the wire wheel
flanges, and there is lots of room in the front for the bigger wheels
& fatso tires.

Ironically, I had a flat after going to my more reliable tubeless
tires, but I believe that was because I had a nail in it last year
(when it had a tube in it), and only the tube was patched-the tire was
not plugged at that time.
Now it's been about two months, and no problems. BTW, anyone out there
want to buy 5-15" 72 spokewire wheels, one with worn splines. I would
rate them as a 3 (on a Richter Scale of 10=new) Located in St. Pete,
FL.

Dave Tietz

P.S. I am from Northern Wisconsin... I know -90 wind chill, -51F
actual temp, and have spend more than my share of time behind a snow
blower and snow shovels... Me, I'll take the perpetual summer...

"Never stand behind a cow when it coughs..."-A wise old Wisconsin
Farmer