Re: Removing the B steering wheel

To: "Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu" <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: Removing the B steering wheel
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@mail.bright.net>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 1997 18:38:36 -0500
Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu wrote:

> CAN'T GET THIS THING OFF.
>
> I've had the steering wheel off the 'B before, but must've been generous
> with the torque when reattaching it.  Now I need to remove it again. The
> big nut is off, and I've tried the two known methods for the last couple of
> days, without success:
>
> A. Grab and 3 and 9 o'clock and rock to and fro - nothing doing, even to
> the point that the steering wheel is almost bent.
>
> B. Person A grabs the wheel, and while pulling back HARD, person B delivers
> strong blows from a large hammer (via an appropriate punch or bar on the
> center of the steering shaft).  No go here, either.
>
> I've given it a couple of soaks with WD-40, will try again tonight, but I
> WELCOME ANY SUGGESTIONS/IDEAS OF OTHER METHODS.
>
> Thanks !!! - Lee
>
>  Lee M. Daniels                 Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
>  daniels@cryogen.com                                      Texas A&M University
>  '74 TR6  '77 MGB
lee, try it the other way.  put the nut back on the shaft and tightenit
as hard as you can.  the extra "oomph"  moves the wheel down the shft
slightly, thereby breaking the grip on the splines.  then run the nut
back to flush with the end of the steering shaft and pull on the wheel
in 3 places - hands at 10 and 2 while you wedge your knees under the
wheel at eh 6 position.  keep a steady pressure against the wheel with
knees and hands while someone you REALLY trust hits the nut very hard
and very square.  it woprks.  ted schumacher, ts importes automotive,
pandora, oh 800/543-6648; 419/384-3272 fax.  good luck, ted