Re: My aching head!

To: Bill Schleusner <b-schleusner@ti.com>
Subject: Re: My aching head!
From: Jarl/Carol <deboer@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 1997 12:56:24 -0800
Bill Schleusner wrote:

> I'm sure this has been discussed at length before, but I've slept since then.
> How do pre-75 B owners cope with unleaded gas.  I know the head was changed in
> 1975 to accomodate unlead fuel but what do I do about a 73 engine.  Will I
>need
> to change the valves and lifters, etc. or do I just run the engine until it
> needs a new head.  Any suggestions welcome.

Bill, NO need for a new head at all! run it until you need to remove it(
for a valve job, head gasket, or whatever. When you do, and are paying
for/doing the work of removal anyway, take it to your friendly local
automotive machine shop and have them install a set of hardened exhaust
seats. No matter what else all the "experts" will tell you, bronze
guides, stellite valves, lead additives, or whatever, those seats will
give you 95-98% of the wear benefits you need to successfully run
unleaded.
BTW, if you don't "lug" your engine or overload it at high temperature,
(hard to do in a B) you could easily get 30-40,000 miles out of the head
as-is without serious valve seat recession (I've done 65,000 myself)
Just keep an eye on your valve clearances, if they "close down" more
than a little on a regular basis, the seats are starting to go.   Jarl