Re: Wire-wheel spline wear

To: Thomas J Pokrefke <thomas_pokrefke@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Wire-wheel spline wear
From: glen@pegasus.unm.edu
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 14:49:27 -0700 (MST)
On Tue, 4 Feb 1997, Thomas J Pokrefke wrote:

> What causes the splines on wire wheel hubs to wear?  I would tend to
> think that the fit is tight enough to prevent movement radially or
> side-to-side.  Any ideas?
>
> Thomas

tom,
from what i understand (and i have replaced all 4 of my wire wheels due
to spline wear) moisture seeps into the spoke holes of the wheel and
slowly rots away the splines. the one thing i did to help prevent this
from happening when i installed my new wheels was to smear a line of
silicone sealer where the spokes go into the wheel hub (smear it on the
inside surface of the wheel hub). hopefully, this will help keep out the
moisture. additionally, it is important to keep the splines clean and
greased maybe once a year. the grease will lube the splines and help keep
the moisture from damaging the metal.

hope this helps.

glen christian
'66 midget