Re: Wire-wheel spline wear

To: glen@pegasus.unm.edu
Subject: Re: Wire-wheel spline wear
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 16:05:41 -0600 (CST)
At 02:49 PM 2/4/97 -0700, glen@pegasus.unm.edu wrote:

Glen wrote to Tom:

>from what i understand (and i have replaced all 4 of my wire wheels due
>to spline wear) moisture seeps into the spoke holes of the wheel and
>slowly rots away the splines. the one thing i did to help prevent this
>from happening when i installed my new wheels was to smear a line of
>silicone sealer where the spokes go into the wheel hub (smear it on the
>inside surface of the wheel hub). hopefully, this will help keep out the
>moisture. additionally, it is important to keep the splines clean and
>greased maybe once a year. the grease will lube the splines and help keep
>the moisture from damaging the metal.

As a point of information, and to reinforce your logic with the silicone...

When we got the new chrome/stainless wires from British Wire Wheels we
elected to add the option of "tubeless." What they did was apply silicone
over the nippeles of the spokes. The wheels are guaranteed not to leak air
for three years.

I don't know if I'd be brave enough to try to leak-proof wheels that weren't
shipped that way, but silicone seems to be the trick.

For what it's worth....

Carol