Re: Engine noises - help please

To: Kevin.Phillips@tidv.dti.gov.uk, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Engine noises - help please
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 09:11:00 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-02-07 06:26:30 EST, Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk
(Phillips Kevin) writes:

<< I have an engine problem that I would like to get some input from the list
on.

Kevin,

I think you have two problems...

Number one:

You've definately need to pull that head. I'm not sure you need to pull the
whole engine / transmission. Hopefully, the head gasket is the problem and
there are no cracks, etc. The smoke is water and antifreeze "burning" in the
combustion chamber. Your compression sounds fine. How is the oil pressure?

Number two:

The noise and tachometer acting up at the same time is curious and a clue. I
wonder if the noise isn't coming from the starter. Inappropriately and
intermittantly energized by a short, allowing the starter gear to tickle the
ring gear and / or rattling the starter relay (your noise) while sending some
real dips in the ignition circuit (your crazy tach readings). All of this is
in the back and same side of the engine. Check all of the white, white /
black and white / brown wires in the area, especially on the starter and the
starter relay. Is the push-on solenoid lead on the starter (white / brown)
tight?  The problem could also be originating from your ignition switch.

Let me know how it comes out. I don't think you have BIG problems here but,
number two is especially interesting.

 R. Johnson - Dallas

'90 Maine Coon
'79 Midget