Re: Engine noises - help please

To: Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk
Subject: Re: Engine noises - help please
From: kgstuart@juno.com (RANDELL S KEGG)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 21:47:08 PST
I have no doubt that the cylinder head needs to come off. But the
metallic rattle is another thing altogether. I have an MGA that
sometimes makes a subtle metallic ringing noise that comes from the same
area that you mention. It sounds as though some little man is smacking
two hammers together down inside the engine.  My best guess is that it
is wear in the wrist pin of piston number four. In your case, if it is
truly a rattle, and not a ringing noise, it may be actually be a worn
piston that "rattles" in its bore.  The tach wiggle is curious, though.
 Whatever it is, you may want to consider pulling the engine and doing
the whole thing..... Please let me know what you find.

Randy Kegg
1958 MGA
1966 Morris Traveller
1964 Porsche 356C