Re: MGB axle nut size

To: Cancola@aol.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: MGB axle nut size
From: car@texas.net (Carol)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 08:31:10 -0600 (CST)
At 11:23 AM 2/8/97 -0500, Cancola@aol.com wrote:

><<  I carried that nut all over town trying to
> find a socket to fit before she came up with that idea.

>          I'm sure the question on everyones lips is, how did you get the nut
>off the car to be carrying it around in the first place?  Do you have a good
>grip?

Bill....For pete's sake! That was 2 months ago!! I'm have a hard time
remembering what I did yesterday....

The nut was already buggered from DPM's using chisels or some such on it in
order to remove it. We had new nuts to replace the old ones. Vince used a
chisel  and "encouraged it" it off the axle, using the nicks that were
already in the nuts as starting points.

The nut was difficult to measure since it had been so tortured in it's
previous life. That's why we came up with the 1-15/16" that really turned
out to be 1-61/64".

The socket for the 4-wheel-drive axle (?) fit the new nuts satisfactorily,
if not perfectly. They were installed with no rounding, even though the
socket is a tiny bit larger than the axle nut.

The socket is in our tool stock permanently!

Hope this helps!

Carol