Re: MGB axle nut size

To: gmapes@ball.com
Subject: Re: MGB axle nut size
From: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 08:56:31 -0800
>A friend is trying to rebuild the rear axle from a 1965 MGB (early style
>rear axle).  He has measured the size of the nut that holds part of the axle
>assembly to the housing as 1 15/16.  He has not been able to locate a socket
>of that size (Snap-On, Mac, Sears, etc).  My questions are:

I don't understand your friends problem, each of those sources you've listed
has
sockets in that size, and larger.  I've got 1 15/16 Craftsman and Snap On at
home.
No, they aren't in the store normally, but they are around, and common.  In
1/2"
drive to boot.  Although sometimes you have to go up to 3/4" drive with some
makes,
because you're right up at the edge.  But then you either get a 3/4" breaker
bar or
ratchet, or a 1/2" adapter.

If worse comes to worse, go to a diesel garage (like a Kenworth dealer), and
find out
from there mechanics where to buy big sized tools.  They've got lots of them.