Re: air compressor lines

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: air compressor lines
From: "Paul Hammarstedt" <wfme@mail.mc.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 21:46:28 +0000
Ooops, I forgot to send this to the list.   Mr Johnson and Mr
Pokrefke both already made the point very well.  But I would like to
add that PVC and other plastic materials (like dashboard/facias) lose
plasticizers and become rather more brittle with age.  The garage
environment (at least mine) is a likely place for impact damage and
the piping is a potential bomb.

Trying not to be redundant or repeat myself or say the same thing
over and over again.
Paul

> From:          Self <Single-user mode>
> To:            NamasteRH@worldnet.att.net
> Subject:       Re: air compressor lines
> Date:          Sat, 8 Feb 1997 22:39:24

> Man, there is a lot of energy stored in compressed air.  PVC tends to
> get brittle with age.  It would worry me to use PVC for compressed
> air.  Whack it hard,  get it to shatter,  plastic shrapnel?
>
> Copper (not the thin-wall type) or black steel is a little more work
> to install,  but sure offers more peace of mind.
>
> Hope I'm not raining on parades, but that's what I believe.  I've
> designed a lot of huge compressed air systems and can't remember
> anyone wanting them to be plastic pipe.  Not to say building codes
> are the fonts of all knowledge (especially for intelligent people who
> understand what they are doing and the compromises made when they
> do it)  PVC may violate most building codes.  Not sure about that ...
>probably should
> research it before shooting off my keyboard.  If I'm wrong,  never
> mind, it was free advice :)
>
> Regards,
> Paul Hammarstedt,  Mechanical Engineer
>

> > The use of PVC sounds great, but can someone tell me how the pipes are
> > terminated (i.e., for tool hose connectivity)?
> > --
> >

> > Rick Hoefle 1964 Tiger B9470508 - HIS
> >             1969 MGC            - HERS

Paul Hammarstedt