E:Mail legislation Alert - no lbc content

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: E:Mail legislation Alert - no lbc content
From: "Michael P. Ohleger" <mikeoh@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 23:40:45 -0500
OK folks, here's another scare just like the E:mail virus hoax.  First of all,
the FCC
doesn't legislate local telephone service. Rates and tariffs are approved by
your public
utility or service commission.  Timed telephone calls or message unit calls are
in
effect as we speak in all parts of the country including Southwest Bell where
this
message originated.  Not everyone has the luxury of flat rate service. I
personally even
pay for timed service since my ISP is outside of my rate area - no big deal.
Local
telephone companies have been charging businesses "timed" or message unit calls
for
years ( that's why your boss gets PO'd about personal calls)  Let's not get
wacky over
some silly rumor about a conspiricy to reduce internet use by charging for
calls.  It's
already happening and usage hasn't slackened.  Lighten up!

Michael Ohleger

'67 MGB
'70 MGB
Communications employee