Re: Pulling my hair out!

To: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: Pulling my hair out!
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 09:12:40 -0600
nolan penney wrote:

> Very *bad* mistake.  But I guess you've learned about pulling the distributor
>by now haven't you? <g>
>
> Sounds like timing, including reinstallation being done incorrectly.  How
>you're determining timing
> without seeing timing marks is beyond me.  But it doesn't seem to be working
>well.  I

Does one really need the timing marks?  Granted they are good to get
your timing close to where it needs to be, as opposed to way off or 180
degrees off.  I usually don't pay attention to where my timing marks
are; I just adjust until the engine runs best.  What about everyone
else?  Do you guys just stick to predetermined timing from the factory
or what?  Besides, how accurate can those marks be after so many years;
don't they drift some or is it exact no matter how old the engine is.  I
say just get the timing close and microadjust the timing over the period
of a few days or weeks, and then tune the carbs, and off I go.  If
anyone asked me what my timing is right now, I wouldn't have the
foggiest idea.

Jay
--
Jurgen Hartwig
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0003a