Re: Movies

To: James Howard <jdh@sextans.lowell.edu>, MG list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Movies
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@monmouth.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:57:26 -0500
At 11:52 AM 2/13/97 -0700, James Howard wrote:

>>Gay Divorcee, Astaire and Rogers, J type (and my favorite)
>
>I thought it was an M-type.  At least, I remember some Fred Astaire movie
>where he chases a Dusenberg in a boat tailed MG.
>
>James Howard
>Flagstaff, AZ  USA

 Jim, my favorite movie, and sing "Night and Day (you are the one)" as you
read this. Astaire meets Rogers at the docks returning from Paris. Rogers
has torn her dress in a steamer trunk after a customs inspection. Astaire
lends Rogers his "Mack" (raincoat) and hopes to make a move on her when she
returns it to him in London. The coat comes back by messenger, and Astaire
drives endlessly in his J type looking for her on the streets of London.

He sees her in her big American car (Deussy or Auburn) and chases her in
the MG.
In the park, he blocks her exit with the MG  after luring her down a dead
end. She
tells him as she is about to back out over the MG, "you don't like your
car? "

The scene is several minutes and the car is clearly a J type, not an M, not
a P. It has a spare tire on a slab gas tank. In one scene the Radiator
shell and "MG" is as clear as can be.

Stop singing. and rent the movie if you are over 35 and a romantic.

Mike