Re: Sobering - Reply

To: Don Mathis <donmathis@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Sobering - Reply
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:52:43 -0500
Hi Don:

Thanks for the physics.  I have always enjoyed a healthy scepticism
regarding gadgets.  My experience with deer whistles is connected with my
annual trips to the Portland Swapmeet.

These occur in early April and for years we have driven all day and night
(multiple drivers in a large van) direct to Portland through Jasper
National Park, Mt. Robson Provincial Park then down the Thompson River to
Kamloops and the Coquihalla Highway.  All of this is in prime deer, elk and
moose country at a time when they are very active.  After several close
calls, I tried putting the whistles on my van.  That year, for the first
time, when we would come around a corner, the animals were already
scattering - rather than standing looking at us.  We had no close
encounters and I have had none since.  That was 8 years ago.  I have no
scientific proof of the efficacy of these things.

I believe the whistles were developed in Scandinavia where an extensive
testing program proved their effectiveness.  I don't have documentation.
Perhaps another lister has some facts.  In the meantime, I will keep my
whistles and my caution!  I use them on my cars and my bikes.  I keep them
on by buying 3M industrial double-sided tape and by throwing away the junk
they are packed with.

John McEwen