Re: Sobering - Reply

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Sobering - Reply
From: nolan penney <npenney@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 1997 12:07:52 -0800
>Well written and VERY true.  I find when I drive my B I am more cautious than
>in my Accord.  I realize that I'm not only in a small convertible, but one
>that still has a number of 17 year old parts.

As a motorcycle nut myself, I'm very aware of my cars capability of being
squashed, and
being invisible.  I'd like to offer a couple of suggestions myself.

Being seen:

Headlights, high beam.  There is a reason we on motorcycles use them this way
in the day
light.  Try it, you'll be amazed at how much better you are seen.

Horns.  Use em!  Only in America do we seem to consider it improper to toodle
at the car
drifting into us, or to catch the attention of the person considering pulling
out.

Blind Spots.  Stay out of 'em.  Especially the ones that hurt.  If I've got to
ride in
your blind spot, I do so in a manner that makes sure when you change lanes into
mine you
just cut me off, and not hit me with your rear fender.

Insanity.  Sounds strange, but it works.  On the motorcycle when I'm getting
crowded I
shimmy the hell out of the bike.  It frightens other people, and they back away
from that
idiot on the motorcycle.  Then they spend a lot of time watching me because
they can't
figure out what I'm going to do next.  It's not complementary to me, but I'd
rather them
consider me nuts and pay attention to me then consider me safe and ignore me.
I'm in
total control as I'm shimmying the bike btw.  The car does a pretty good dance
as well.

Insanity II:  Fake aggression and positioning.  I've been known to cross the
yellow line a
time or two to get the attention of a dreamer coming the other way.  No, not
when we're
near one another, but when he's 100 yards down the road, and drifting across my
lane.  By
jove, when you position yourself in what they consider their teritory
(regarless of where
they actually are), it's amazing how quickly they suddenly wake up.  Same with
drifting
right up beside you on the white line if you're drifting over into my lane as
we travel
together.  Again, I'm not asleep at all when I do this.

Control:

I don't do this as much with the car as I do the motorcycle.  But I should, for
it lack of
practice has caused me problems.

Braking.  I do this regularly on the bike.  When I'm on some quiet country
road, all
alone, slam on the brakes and bring the bike to a _complete_ halt as quickly as
possible.
This way I get and stay intimate with the proper procedure for that particular
motorcyle.
The complete halt part is important.  People often times slow down quickly,
then run into
whatever it was they were trying to avoid.  Practice often!  You will be
astounded at how
quickly you can learn to stop your car with practice and experience.  Do it on
different
surfaces too.

Dodging.  When was the last time anyone truly practiced dodging that whatever?
Same
conditions as above, but pick an object in the road, now, quickly get around
it.  99.9% of
the time, the car or motorcycle is far more able to dodge then we are, or give
the vehicle
credit for.  We, the poor human, screw it all up and cause the crash.  Practice
makes
perfect.

Outs.  The great game of "what if..."  Constantly or at least frequently
imagine something
happening, and determine ways out.  If there isn't one, you aren't driving
right.

Mirrors.  Who's there, and where are they?  Goes along with outs and dodging.
You can't
swerve quickly around that fool that just pulled out if you don't know what's
around you
to avoid.  Use your mirrors and your neck, and keep track of where people are
around you
at all times.

Parking lots and fields.  Great areas for learning about your car.  You can
skid, slide
and all sorts of things here.  And try out different conditions.  Rain, mud,
gravel, sand,
snow.  Try them, learn them.  When you have mastered regaining control of a
hard sideways
skid, you are a long ways towards not loosing control of your car in the first
place.

You:

Know your limits.  I'm no Mario Andretti, and know it.  Especially on a
motorcycle.  I
ride a cruiser, and cruise on it.  When I'm out with my canyon racer friends, I
meet up
with them later.  Because I _cannot_ ride like them.  If I try, I might get
lucky, but I'm
pushing the envelope.  And if something happens, I will not be able to handle
it, though
they can.  Same with the car.  I've also heard this described as pucker facter,
or
sphincter analysis.  Your body will tell you when you are over the limit.  Pay
attention
to your body.

Your body.  Tired?  Pull over.  Same with hungry, dehydrated, or needing a
bathroom.  Why
it is that as americans we feel we absolutely must drive without stop or break
I dont'
know.  Though I do know I suffer from this as well.  Make yourself take breaks.
 Get food,
get water (most of us are dehydrated at all times!), take a nap.  Whatever.
Just get out
from that fixed position behind the steering wheel.

Body cycle.  This is part of the above.  We all run on a rather regular cycle
of up and
down.  Have energy, want to sleep.  Zesty and happy, tired and cranky.  Myself,
I run on a
45 minute cycle, which is a little quicker then average.  So what do I do?
Mostly
nothing, other then be aware of this.  But I will pull over when I'm finding
myself being
an exhausted cranky idiot.  Because I know full well I'll be feeling more human
in a
little while, as well being a whole lot more competent rider or driver.

The crash.

Lastly, make the decision.  You need this in all your life before it'll show up
here.  But
it's very important here.  When you're on the bridge and that Dodge minivan is
coming
across the lane at you, you've got a decision to make.  One of them can me no
decision at
all, but I'd recommend a concious decision.  It may not be right in hind sight,
but you've
got a better chance when you are aware of the things around you, your own
skill, and your
vehicles capabilities.  Then you can make that decision to try passing them on
the other
side, try to take the impact in a specific part of the car, attempt to reverse
direction,
or whatever it is you feel the choice must be.  But make the choice, and
thereby stay in
control.