Re: towing rig

To: "Larry Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.psycha.upenn.edu>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: towing rig
From: Ross Overcash <jroverca@tiac.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 07:33:37 -0500 (EST)
At 07:36 AM 2/11/97 -0700, Larry Macy, Ph.D. wrote:
>At 07:32 PM 2/10/97, you wrote:
>>
>>howdy folks,
>>      i've got a bit of a delemnia here. i'm gonna be making a big move
>>fairly soon (maybe a month or so) and i have three different vehicals,
>>one of them being my mg midget. i also have a jeep that i figure i could
>>fix up a tow hitch on. my question is: is there a tow bar made
>>specifically for an mg midget that i could puchase to work with any
>>standard towing hitch? thanx a bunch.
>>
>>glen christian
>>

>>I don't know if you want to buy or rent but when we moved from Arkansas to
>PA we rented one of those front wheel trailers from either Ryder or U-haul
>and set it up for the narrowest range, dropped the drive shaft and away we
>went. Worked great. Unfortunately they are too wide (or the Midget too
>narrow) for the rear end to fit.  Make sure you disconnect the drive shaft
>as it will turn the diff and tranny if you don't. I disconnected it from the
>diff and tied it up out of the way.  Hope this helps.
>
>Larry Macy, Ph.D.
>78 Midget
>
>PS I have a friend that ramped a midget into the back of a full sized
>pickup. It fit.
>

>Did the same with my B worked just fine!  no matter what you do, unless you
can get those rear wheels off the ground be sure you disconnect the drive
shaft from the differential and tie it up.  By the way, don't know where you
are moving from or to but be sure you check with AAA on what types of
trailers are allowed on the route you are taking.  When I drove from Florida
to Massachusettes 5 years ago I was a bit surprised to find I would not be
allowed on the New Jersey Turnpike with the B on a tow dolley.  If it had
been on a trailer with all it's wheels off the ground it would have been
fine!  I had received the route from AAA, but had not asked about the
trailer/ nor was there anything aboout prohibitions in the Trip Tik so...

Good Luck

Ross Overcash, 74B, NAMGBR 2-1172, Ayer, MA.
http://www.tiac.com/users/jroverca