Re: Pick-ups

To: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Pick-ups
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:09:43 EST
On Tue, 18 Feb 1997 13:47:01 -0500 (EST) GOFASTMG@aol.com writes:
>A similar incident happened to  a cousin of mine several (many!) years
>ago.
> She had a Renault Dauphine while a senior in high school. Being a
>cheerleader, most of the football players knew her and were forever
>mucking
>about with her little car, moving it etc.
>  One day she was sitting in the parking lot with the engine idleing,
>it
>being a bit cold, when a couple of linemen types decided to give her a
>bit of
>scare. They sneaked up behind and quickly lifted the rear end off the
>ground.
>  Bootsie was a bit quicker though, quickly grabbing reverse and
>revving the
>engine. Well, they couldn't put it down without being run over so they
>they
>stood. A couple of other players saw their teammates prediciment but
>could
>only laugh.
>  She made them hold the car about 6-8 minutes and one later told me
>it
>seemed like six hours.
> Needless to say, those two found another outlet for their "machoness"
>
>Rick

I'm reminded of another tale.....at a Santa Barbara MG Club driving event
many years ago, Chris Nowlan (of Moss Motors fame) was nattering on about
how TCs were susceptible to half-shaft breakage during such events. Of
course, not one to miss an opportunity, I promptly (but quietly) located
a small bottle-jack and raised one rear wheel of his TC an inch off the
ground. When it was his turn to make his run at the event, he hopped in
the car but didn't move and was then heard cursing loudly about how he'd
predicted a half-shaft failure, only to have it happen........'twas only
our ill-contained laughter that put him wise to what had really happened!

Lawrie