RE: Emissions Nightmare - Help!

To: mgs <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Emissions Nightmare - Help!
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 14:42:00 -0800 (PST)
try to get an exemption for the car either temporary or permanent base upon
the fact that oem emission parts are not available for that car. Contact the
smog people and see if that is possible. You may have to fail the car and
then have a licensed mechanic state that the parts are not available.
Whatever you do, do not take the test till you're sure about the approach
you want to take. Most states log test results and may make a note of
missing equipment.  Determine if the test is just gas analysis or if they
pop the hood looking for evaporative loss canisters and the like. If they
only do an exhaust test and Cat check you can pass. To pass an 80 B with a
weber (DGV?) you will have to lean out the idle mixture, raise the idle to
about 1100, and retard the spark a lot like 5 - 10 ATDC (a friend with a gas
analyzer is a great help) . This will bring down your HCs. The car will be
barely driveable but it will pass. When the high school kid at the test
place asks you if your resonator is a cat, politely nod your head. Find out
the facts first anonymously.
Chris Reichle