Re: Emissions Nightmare - Help!

To: dwilkins@edcc.ctc.edu
Subject: Re: Emissions Nightmare - Help!
From: Nolan Penney & Dawn Mask <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 19:09:30 -0500
>I have a serious problem. I bought an '80 B a few months ago. It's time
>for emissions inspection here in Washington state. The PO took all the
>emissions stuff off and put on a weber, side draft I think, though I'm
>not sure. Original Emissions stuff is gone!

First, find out exactly how thorough the inspection process is.  For
example, if you take the voluntary dyno test here in Maryland, they
don't even open your hood.  So as long as your exhaust gasses were
adequate, they'd never know you had a Weber.

Practice your song and dance.  The inspection people aren't exactly at
the pinicle of human evolution, and can be bamboozled fairly easily.
Especially with british cars.  After all, they have a sterio typed
reputation.  Use it!  If they pop the hood start talking about the
factory alternating between Disqueth valve induction brake pedals, and
that mid year change to multi carbureted tail light cooling exasperative
traction drive.  You get the picture.

Lastly, you may have a historical/antique/custom/etc license program in
your state.  I'm fairly sure you do.  If you can live with the
restrictions of this tag, you can get around emission laws this way as
well.