Re: Am I in the right place?

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Am I in the right place?
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 21 Feb 1997 11:14:38 -0600
In <v01510100af337db6d3b3@[204.183.213.30]>, Philip W. May wrote:
>Ladies & Gentlemen: I need some information. Last Tues., 2/18/97, I sent a
>message into the list about the possibility of trailering an MG TC from
>L.A. to Viginia with an enclosed U-Haul trailer.
>
>I thought someone out there might have either some experience doing
>something like this or a viewpoint on how it might be done- or a better
>way, even.

Re your enquiry--(1) Trailering is a generic kinda thing.  Seems to me
the process is the same whether it be a T, an A or a panzerwagen.  (2)
I don't recall your specific inquiry, but either you do it your self
or pay to have it done.  If the latter, there are two alternatives:
(a) Look in Hemming's Motor News.  There are dozens of car carriers
who advertise therein.  Will run about $800-1000+ to have someone do
it for you.  (b) If you are moving, put it in a van.  Actually pretty
cheap, if you are already using the van.

>I've checked the mail a couple of times a day and after
>sometimes getting 25-30 messages at a time, not one person even has even
>offered an opinion.

Well, this question has come up several times before, and I guess
people are getting tired of it.  My best guess.

>I've read lots of things about wheels, MG Badges, fuel
>pumps and seat belts, Dauphines and dogs with steel balls, but nothing with
>any advice or experience to lend me a hand.
>
>Am I in the right place? I realize there were a lot more A and B type MGs
>made and that you all obviously enjoy them, but neither myself or the man
>who asked about assistance for working on a TF got any mail with
>assistance. Is there a separate T-Type list that I should have contacted? I
>feel as though I've horned in on a place where I shouldn't be.

Nope, this is the place.  It takes a few weeks to get the flavor of
the list.  For the most part, folks are friendly and willing to help
when they have time.  But like I said, you may have been better off
posting your particular question on rec.autos.antiques or some such
place, since your problem is generic.

                Good luck!              A. B. Bonds