Re: Front suspension, 1969 MGB

To: larryhoy@juno.com
Subject: Re: Front suspension, 1969 MGB
From: britcars@juno.com
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 1997 11:37:14 EST
On Sat, 22 Feb 1997 10:05:50 EST larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy) writes:

>  I presently have steering wheel shake at
>about 60 mph.  I have eliminated wheel balance as a cause.

How, exactly, did you do this? If you have wire wheels, and a typical
tire shop balanced them, there's a good chance they are still at fault as
very few shops have the correct equipment to balance wire wheels
properly. "Shimmy" is usually the result of an oscillation caused by an
improperly balanced  or out-of-round wheel; there's not much else in the
front end that can cause such an oscillation.

If you have steel wheels that are balanced properly, then maybe your car
is the one that proves the above theory worthless........

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center