Short tonneau? Fooey!!!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Short tonneau? Fooey!!!
From: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com (Thomas J Pokrefke)
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 12:25:23 EST
So you think having a tonneau that is too short is a problem?  The very
first MG I ever saw was sitting in a parking lot with a tonneau covering
the cockpit.  I was amazed at the concept.  When I bought my MG, there
was no tonneau cover.  I pined my heart away, but I just couldn't afford
one.

I went to the fabric store and bought a large piece of vinyl (cost=$25).
After careful measurement, I cut the piece to the rough shape of the
cockpit.  At the back I sewed in a metal ruler (cost=$2.47) to engage the
tabs that are on the rear decklid.  I placed Lift-A-Dot fastners at the
correct location on the perimeter of the rear edge to coincide with the
studs.  I cut holes where the steering wheel and headrests protruded
through.  I made pouches out of the extra vinyl and sewed those over the
holes I had cut.  I went to the fabric store and bought a long zipper
(cost=$4.50).  I cut a slit down the middle and sewed the zipper in
place.  I screwed two snaps into each door rail, and placed the
corresponding snap-half on the tonneau.

The end product was the tonneau I always wanted at about 1/4 of the
price.  Move over Martha Stuart!

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
thomas_pokrefke@juno.com