SPEEDOMETER READING LOW

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SPEEDOMETER READING LOW
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 97 10:01 PST
I have just taken my 74B out on it's first test drive since rebuilding the
engine and tranny. I am puzzled now, why my speedo reads low. Assuming the
tach reads accurately, in O/D top gear at 3K I have an indicated road speed
of 50MPH, not a tad over 60MPH as I had expected.
I do not recall any problem with the speedo before the rebuild, but then I
have only driven this car a total of about 2 miles, ever.
It is possible I missed the fact that the indicated speed was off when I
drove it, as it was just around a residential block to check that the O/D
and tranny worked OK.  The O/D did not engage on my test drive so I checked
out the electrical side and all was in order, so the assumption was that the
mechanical side had the problem. This car has sat for 16 years under cover
but is in great shape otherwise.
My fix for the O/D was to swap it with a rebuilt unit from a 79. Both units
were identical from the exterior, however, now I am thinking that the drive
ratio to the speedo pinion must be different. Could this be so? Are there
any people out there with the necessary knowledge to comment. I would
appreciate all offers of help with suggestions. Mr Twist are you listening?
E-mail jdb70@juts.ccc.amdahl.com  John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **  USUAL DISCAILMERS APPLY  **
1969 MGBGT;1974 MGB;1976 MGB-RESTORED;1979 MGB;1972 MGB daily driver.