Re: Parts Suppliers

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Parts Suppliers
From: "Drive-by Shooter" <fsdcr@aurora.alaska.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 18:45:33 +0000
> quality and where parts come from.  Are there any places that you
> absolutely shouldn't order from?  I realize service varies between
> customer, and not everyone has good service from a particular company.

There is a company operating out of Rhode Island called Scarborough
Faire, not sure if they are still in business but if they are I would
avoid them like the plague.

I placed a large order to them a few years ago for my 59 MGA,
including, among other things, 2 new battery racks (1 LH &1 RH).
One of them was a good quality part, and was a dead ringer for the
originals, but the other one was a piece of junk; it was sloppily
built, didn't have the holes punched in the sides, and did not have
the same overall dimensions as the other (supposed to be mirror
images except for one tab).  Anyhow I called to complain, and
the person who answered was extremely rude; I then spoke to her
supervisor who was a bit more polite but no more helpful.

I wanted either a refund on both brackets (so I could buy two that I
knew would match) or a replacement for the bad one, but was told that
all they would give me was store credit if I returned them.
Apparently they had switched suppliers and in their view, I could not
get a refund because they had shipped the right part.  Basically I
was told that regardless of quality it was the right part because
they SAID it was, end of discussion.

I ended up shipping the bad one back simply because I had no use for
it, but the store credit is equally useless to me as I don't ever
plan on ordering from them again.

I decided to hold off on my restoration until I finish college so the
other battery bracket is still sitting on a shelf waiting for a
match.  My metalworking skills have probably improved to the point
where I will might just try my hand at making one instead when the
time comes.

Sorry for the long vent, does anybody else know much about this
company?

Del Rawlins                          "Screw the Government"  |
fsdcr@aurora.alaska.edu             --Legends of the Fall    |
http://icecube.acf-lab.alaska.edu/~fsdcr/                    |