RE: RFeibusch@aol.com: Re: wrecked 1979 Midget

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, "D D B" <dbavery1@juno.com>
Subject: RE: RFeibusch@aol.com: Re: wrecked 1979 Midget
From: "doug russell" <dr-doug@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 97 15:12:28 UT
Have to put a few words in here abouth insurance companies - it is related to
LBCs although I'm mostly blowin' steam.  In mid January, while driving home
from lunch with the wife and my four kids (all under 7), a 20 year old runs a
stop sign in his 70 "primer gray rusted good-for-nuthin" Nova causing a
collision (fortunately, we were in our 93 Caprice "Battleship" station wagon
and are all OK).  Short of the story is this -I have use ALLSTATE for the last
10 years to cover all our family cars and I am willing to pay the extra
because I Allstate is suppose to provide excellent service.  I even let one of
Allstate's body shops do the work (this is a shop where there is an agreement
with Allstate for discounted repairs) which saves Allstate a bundle of cash.
Finally, the accident is completely chargable to the other driver's insurance
company.  Well, the car is suppose to be ready to leave the shop today and
yesterday I got a call from the shop owner telling me that an Allstate
adjuster stopped by and started disallowing certain damage because they were
not, in the opinion of the adjuster, accident related - to boot, this adjuster
just left for a 2 week vacation.  When I called Allstate, blowing a cork at
this turn of events, I was told that the adjusted had the final word (of
course he won't be back for two weeks) although she would discuss it with the
supervisor and get back to me (no call yet).  I think this is despicable and
unacceptable and am taking it further up the line.  ALL of the damage on the
car was accident related and signed off by a previous Allstate adjuster - the
implication of the second adjuster that I am committing fraud is most
insulting.  Also - the damage that is in dispute is probably less than $100 to
repair (a broken button on the window controller caused by my wife's hand
during impact, the rear plastic wiper that cracked in two and a 4 inch scratch
on the roof caused by the movement of the magnetically held CB antenna at
impact).  It just really pisses me off to have to go through the hassle,
inconvenience and humiliation of arguing with Allstate that I am not
defrauding them and that the disallowed repairs are in fact accident related
and legitimate.  Not to mention the inconvenience of having to bring the car
back in after Allstate comes to its senses.  I pay the extra premiums charged
by Allstate to avoid this type of hassle - if I wanted bad service I could go
anywhere.

Do I think you should defraud an insurance company - as much as I would like
to stick it to them because I'm so pissed  - NO - it's wrong.  When you have a
legitimate gripe let them know how pissed you are and make yourself into a
royal pain in the ass until they come around - including the insurance
commission in your state.  You can always take the ultimate revenge and go
with another company and share with others, like I am doing here, how terrible
they were (If you are shopping for insurance now how many of you would have
Allstate at the top of your list of companies after hearing my little tale??).

Thanks for the vent, let me end by making this relevant to this group - this
could happen with your MG insurance company - I use American Collectors (a NJ
company) for my 2 Cs.  I've never made a claim with them in the 6 years that
I've used them and frankly don't know if they would come through in a pinch.
I pay about $120 a year for $8,000 in loss coverage - there are a bunch of
restrictions (locked garage, no parking lots, 5,000 miles or less yearly) but
otherwise liberal compared to other classic car insurance companies (e.g.,
pleasure diving is allowed!!- not just to and from show, club or parade
events).  Anyone have experience with American Collectors (claimwise) or
recommendations for other classic insurance providers?

Dr. Doug
69 C Rdst
69 C GT
69 B Rdst