MGB oil change

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB oil change
From: "Richard H. Cady" <cadyxrh@ctxix.sod.eds.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 97 18:18:46 PST
Hi All,

When changing the oil in my MGB 18GB ('67) engine, I notice that the color
of the oil is a bit different from that of modern fuel injected cars.  The
oil actually seems to have a slightly pearlescent hue to it and a stronger
smell of gasoline than oil from my fuel injected car.

My spark plugs look fine (not black and sooty from an overly rich mixture)
and I don't drive with the choke engaged longer than needed.  The carbs are
stock SU's and the engine was rebuilt about 10,000 miles ago with .020 over
pistons, new stock cam, etc, etc.  My oil changes are at about 2,000 mile
intervals.  The engine passes 1970 emmission standards and runs great.

Is this oil condition normal for an 1960's vintage engine design with SU
carbs, or do I have a problem with gasoline contamination.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.   Thanks,

Rich
1970 MGB roadster