Re: Compact Spare

To: car@texas.net
Subject: Re: Compact Spare
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 13:00:19 -0500 (EST)

<< If you have to use the spare, won't the car ride lop-sided with the
smaller
 wheel? My concern is: what might get 'broken' while the 13" wheel is on the
 car?  >>
  Exactly the same as if you were running a "compact Spare".

  Yes, It would sit a bit lop-sided. But then so would the use of a a bolt on
mini spare.
  The point to remember, is ANY "compact/mini" spare is nothing more than a
means to carefully run the disabled vehicle for the shortest possible
distance to repair the road tyre.  They are not designed, nor intended to be
replacement road wheels.
  Having said that, let me put my neck on the block and say, that if anybody,
anywhere uses one of these "compact' spares, (and I will include a 13" WW on
a B), for any other purpose than the above, is not only asking for problems,
but deserves all they get.

The bottom line.  A smaller tyre as a spare makes sense from a space/weight
saving viewpoint, so long as it's limitations are observed. That is, Short
distance, low speed, and careful driving.

Rick Morrison'