Re: midget to mgb spare

To: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil
Subject: Re: midget to mgb spare
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 15:28:28 -0500 (EST)

<< Nope.  Not for any distance.  This is exactly what I was referring to in
 my previous message.  Differing tire diameters on the driven axle
 overworks the differential, sometimes with disastrous results.  If you
 have a limited-slip it's even more grevious. >>

Ok, I guess then the whole idea of compact spares is wrong.  Cause the
compact spare is just that - compact. Ie. a different diameter than the
original/road wheel. Thus running one on a driven wheel can cause axle/diff
failure.

Hm, I guess too I'll have to take that 155 x14 spare out of my boot and
replace it with a 195/60 x14 like the ones on the road wheels.

Oh. Have you informed GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, etc that they
shouldn't be using space-saver spares?

Rick